Thursday, January 26, 2012

Back in the Fitness Saddle

So 26 days into the new year I venture one again to updating this dastardly deed called blogging. It's all the result of the infamous past time of broken promises: the New Year's resolution.
Some would say three and a half weeks of tardiness constitutes a broken resolution. I say nay. I might be lazy but I'm no quitter.
Perhaps I've been too busy making sure I stay on course with another resolution, that being physical fitness. After a 6 year hiatus I once again joined a health club. I told myself I'd never again belong to one of these meat markets, but, as I have learned, paying a bit more a month for exclusivity makes all the difference. So does never waiting for the ellipitical machine, the stability ball, the dumbbells...underground parking!
It's not like I've been a complete couch potato these past several years, having fully trained for one marathon (and missing the actual race because I tried to register too late but ran the distance on race day to a crowd of seagulls) and completed another (Los Angeles 2010). But try as I may, I just can't seem to fall in love with running distance. I still do from time to time, but I don't have that gene that my friend Sandy's husband has, or that of a college classmate and fellow Daily Wildcat alum and a current Charlotte Observer columnist.
Springsteen had it right that some were just born for it.
I, however, was not.
I proved to myself I can do it, I just don't take particular pleasure in doing it. But I've, relearned, that endorphin rush at the gym is what I've missed.
Now, to get back in the saddle of my non-fiction, away-from-work writing that translates my soul's thoughts. At least I have 11 months ahead of me!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2/04/2012 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's your six-pack looking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home