Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dealing with A-holes

I try not to but still often times find myself thinking what makes people act like jerks. Is it a shitty home life? Possibly? Do they have low self-esteem, even a deep-seeded sense of self loathing? Quite likely.

But why they have to take that out on others continues to boggle my mind. Life is so much better without being a dick to anyone and everyone.

As best as I try to not judge others, I am only human. So when I cross paths with a bully -- not your garden variety schoolyard kid but an even worse form in my opinion, the dick work associate or, even worse, a client -- I try to take a deep breath and go on with my life. At least in my position I can deal with an in-house bully, but the outside bully who tries to lord fear over you truly suck.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Fight the good fight, they say. Pick your battles. So when encountering asses who jump to conclusions and try to force their way to get their own way, think before you, yourself, do something stupid that you might regret.

I get it; when it's all about money, people will stoop to the lowest depths to affect the outcome in their favor. But, of course, that doesn't make it right. I won't accept it, and neither should you. So use logic in your favor, calmly and collectively. Nicely reason with the person, or client (or the absolutely worst kind, the "potential" client who really has no intention of doing business with you but will dangle that carrot ... and cry like a baby if they don't get their way or to try and push their agenda.

Now some of you might say, "Well, the client is always right." Yes, but no. Thank god I don't work in sales, although, truth be told, we all sell something. It can be our talent, in my case writing and editorial judgement. I've found that the intangible is actually easier to barter with a client (and bully) because as long as your argument holds up to the litmus test reason should always win out. Not such an easy thing to do with a tangible product.

Many bullies will never be turned, will never see (or admit to) their wrongs. But stay strong, protect yourself and others, embrace and promote reason, and you should be just fine.

After all, the weekend is right around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home