Friday, April 13, 2012

The Worst Homecoming Present Ever

After a 14-hour work day, on a Friday night no less, I'd like to return home to a welcome sight or sound. Not an abomination such as "ACM Presents: Lionel Richie and Friends."

When I was growing up, I loved singing and listening to Richie's songs. I dug his previous group, The Commodores. I still find "Easy" to be one of the better pop songs of all times. But this travesty of a TV "special" is just, well, a travesty.

Obviously CBS had nothing better to show on a Friday evening than an over-produced show featuring Richie hawking his upcoming release surrounded by, of all people, a bunch of horrible country stars I've barely heard of. I thought Richie was R&B, even in the old days a bit of funk. SO what the funk is this?

I find it amusing, and really a bit sad, that a middle-aged man, albeit still a talented one, has to stoop to this level. I happened to get home and turn on the TV, which happened to be already tuned to CBS. At first I thought, hmm, Lionel. Then, to my surprise, two hill-billy performers come running own carrying a guitar inscribed with the phrase "hee haw." Then, the duo launched into "Brick House." I kid you not.

Needless to say I turned the channel mighty quickly. Sorry Lionel, but it's gut check time. If you need to go country to hawk your new album, something is terribly wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home