Sunday, April 22, 2012

Metro

Sometimes driving can be cathartic, but other times it can be a downright drag. Though Los Angelenos have fewer transit options than other large cities, make no mistake, public transportation beckons.

I started riding the transit bus the summer before my freshmen year in high school. I had sports camp at my soon to be new school but lived about 20 miles away. I had but two choices, being 14 and seeing as my football orientation camp did not begin until the afternoon. I could get up early and go to work with my mom or I could take the bus.

I chose the latter.

My bus experiences after that were limited to rides to and from games. Coincidentally, however, mass transit systems have become integral to my job with respect to the media we provide.

But from time to time I have also taken the local muni bus to work but having places to go and people to see always felt inconvenienced, tethered even to transit as it made difficult any whimsical after-work jaunts to happy hour, the gym or the grocery store. But recently I've rediscovered this vital service to our nation's commerce, independence and mobility.

I have two major bus lines that run by my apartment that happen to take me either close to work or to friends' houses. If I don't want to drive and hassle with parking, $1 each way, I've found, works nicely.

I have ridden the metro train, meanwhile, in cities across the work and have always lamented that There weren't more accessible lines in my area. That is not quite true, I've learned.

The train is still not optimal for my everyday needs but can be very helpful when my plans align with this option. For the first time I rode the LA metro, with a friend this weekend from Hollywood to Union Station to Chinatown. It was cheap, just as fast if not faster than driving and all we had to worry about was getting off at the right stop.

So on a Sunday evening, despite the fact I'm delayed because a motorist clipped our bus, I'll be home soon. My driving or transit decisions will continue to also be made time, which is invaluable to me. But when it makes sense, I'll ride the bus or metro, especially in response to gas prices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home